Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Who is your favorite Giant of all time...

Always interested in some good old fashioned debate...Let's switch it up a bit. I want to know, who is your All-time Favorite Giant? Not San Francisco era...Not who's the greatest ever, we all know that's either Willie or Barry...but who is YOUR favorite? We've had a poll going for a few weeks now and you have been answering, but I want more. Let's start another thread...

Is it someone off the current roster? Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain maybe, how about Brian Wilson, Barry Zito (I know, I know, but some people do), Bengie, Aaron, Randy...or Edgar (just kidding). Maybe they are all to recent, how about from the early part of the decade, Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, Rob Nen, J.T. Snow? What about the 80's and 90's,we had some great players then...Matt Williams, Will Clark, Bob Brenly, Brett Butler, Robby Thompson, Rick Reuschel, Kurt Manwaring, Rod Beck, Dan Gladden, Chilli Davis, Jeffery Leonard...Maybe the earlier years, Vida Blue, Gaylord Perry, Orlando Cepeda, Tito Fuentes, John Montefusco, Jack Clark, Bobby Bonds, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Juan Marichal...I know there are others, so you tell me...

I have to go with Will Clark. I idolized him in my youth. His swagger, passion, intensity...and that swing. It didn't hurt hitting that grand slam off Nolan Ryan in his first AB, neither did the game against the cubs in the playoff. After Will, I have to go with Barry Bonds. He may be in trouble, he may be guilty, he may be disgraced, but by god, he was ours. And I rooted for him. I am not ashamed to say it. I poured 15 years into that man, watching every AB, running back from the beer line just in case he hit a homerun while I was there. I'm not about to turn on him now, after he is out of the game. He was and still is a first ballot HOF and better not get the McGwire treatment. I wasn't able to watch guys like the Willies, Juan, and Orlando, so hey fall a little short in my book. Tim Lincecum gets me just as excited as both Barry and Will did so I assume eventually he will be up there as well. And last, but most certainly not least, Rob Nen...Rob Nen...Rob Nen.

I can't say it enough...Rob Nen. He will forever be endowed to my heart. Not only was he the best closer the Giants have ever had, but for giving up his career for the chance at winning the World Series. For those who don't know the story behind it, in the fall of 2002, as the Giants were marching their way towards the World Series, Nen was diagnosed with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. A death sentence for pitchers. What Nen then did is remarkable. Instead of shutting it down and hoping for success in surgery, he powered through the pain and pitched with all his heart for the Giants and their fans. Nen risked, and probably caused further damage, from that October, and never pitched again. Thank you Rob...

Now, tell us, who do you like???

No comments: